The Isle of Wight Donkey Sanctuary has four strands to its activity, as follows;
The prime aim of the sanctuary is to provide a home for unwanted donkeys.
Usually there are more than 100 animals in our care – usually over 90 donkeys and 25 horses and ponies. These animals have led a variety of lives, but they all have one thing in common – they need a home. The reasons for needing a home can be varied.
– Losing their grazing.
– Their owners circumstances change and they need to leave their animals.
– Rescued from poor circumstances.
– Given to us by other rescue organisations.
Using 2014 as an example more than 15 donkeys came to us. Their reasons for arriving at Wroxall included:
– Being left by a Granny to her two grand daughters.
– Losing their grazing on a farm being converted to dairy farming.
– Being donated by a city farm.
– Found abandoned on a farm in Lincolnshire.
– Retiring to the Isle of Wight from France!
Our animals live in over 60 acres of beautiful countryside and have a variety of indoor stables, barns and field shelters to make their lives as comfortable as possible.